Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Road Trip!

Cape Flattery view point.
We took a trip! No, not that kind. Stupid hippies. We took a road trip! It was a new kind of adventure that involved more bathroom stops and snacks than any road trip before. Yay pregnancy!

My husband Paul and I packed up the car and headed out to the coast with our dog, Snorp. The drive was long but it was overcast so it stayed pretty cool out and we made a lot of stops. The first stop was the Coopville ferry. Walking stairs on a moving boat was a strange sensation with my already off center of balance. I took my time and used the hand rail. We used the boat ride to stretch our legs and check out the scenery.

When we arrived at our destination, a small A frame cabin in La Push, WA, we unloaded the car and walked to the beach. It was awesome! I've never seen such waves on the Washington coast before. This was my first time in La Push, Paul had been there once before, along with Snorp the dog. Walking in the sand looking at drift wood and trying to get Snrop to go into the water (it didn't work, read more about our trip and our dog HERE). Good times.

Back at the cabin, changes were a-brewing deep within my body. This baby boy is growing. After a long car ride and a lot of walking lulling him to sleep, he was awake and more active than ever. The soft swimming sensation I've been having for the last month or so was replaced by jolts and kicks like I've never felt before. It was almost as if I was having quick, sharp muscle spasms in my lower abdomen.  Deep down inside.

After a good nights sleep we took another long drive the next day. We headed to the most northwest point of the contiguous United States. Sounds neat. Neah Bay. Through the Makah Reservation and out to Cape Flattery's trail head. It was raining of course. So we got the full northwest experience. We hiked down a long trail with several handmade boardwalks elevating us above the soggy ground. Nearly a mile of walking and we arrived at the Cape Flattery look out. It was so worth the walk. Amazing view. The walk back up was definately more exhausting. I just took my time, paced myself and we made it back okay. Alright, so Paul helped my pace myself and helped me so I didn't slip. What a gentlemen.

A nice drive back to the cabin, walks on the beach and another good nights sleep and we were ready to head home. Already! Okay, I guess so. We took the long way home and it was nice to have a change of scerery from the ride down. I felt pretty accomplished with all the walking I did. I also was proud that I didn't let my pregnancy hold me back from doing anytihng that I wanted to do. Except maybe having a beer but who cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment