Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Domestication and More

1. I should be writing. Why am I checking Facebook? There is nothing interesting there. I am tired of Buzzfeed telling me what I think in the form of a list's title. "23 Dogs You're Glad Aren't Yours" and "34 Things You Didn't Know Where in Your Kitchen". No. I know what is in my kitchen. What I don't know is why I'm on Facebook.

This happens. I open the laptop and decide to write. Dario is napping and I have 40 minutes to an hour. The dishes are done and dinner is prepped. Then I'm on Facebook without even realizing it at first and before you know it I hear Little D squirming around in his crib and party's over. No more time to write.

I'll just take this quiz real quick. "What Kind of Pizza Are You?" I really need to know.

-------

And there it is. It has been just about 5 months and 3 weeks since Dario was born and I haven't written much. I have been too busy to write most days. When I do have time, I feel I should be productive or sleep, but I am also feeling disenchanted with the internet right now. Blogs specifically.

I started using Pinterest with the idea of organizing recipes. Most of the links to recipes are from blogs. Blogs are not always good or reliable. You will find a good share of misspellings and errors on this blog along with my other two (Life with Blind Louie and Lanni's Recipe Box). But mistakes in a recipe? That's just mean. If I didn't know the basic fundamentals of cooking and building food out of ingredients to help me decide which recipes I should follow, I could have made many meal fails.

-------

So what are the rules to have a blog? None. The blogs that have pretty layouts with nice text and a good looking authors picture will get attention. Then the photography. It has to be good. Really good. You can just take your photos from the internet. The internet is full of photos! Gorgeous closeups of cookies, stacking in a tower with a piece of string tying a bow around them. There, of course, a glass of milk in the background. Why? Why is that a standard for every housewife's food blog? There has to be a stack of cookies tied up. I have never needed to tie a bunch of cookies.

-------

So I had started my food blog with the idea of organizing my recipes. After becoming frustrated with blogs, I turned to Pinterest which happens to be full of links to food blogs. I need to get out my cook books and dust of my recipe cards. I'm going to be cooking it old school.

-------

2. For five months, I have been staring at another person. He usually stares back. Dario is a baby human. He is a tiny growing man. I am so amazed by him.

It is  really so cool to see someone learn to use their body. Literally, my baby does not know the full extent of his amazing body. Every day is learning and experimenting and repeating. Growing and strengthening muscles and trying new things. It is so neat to watch him figure things out on his own and then watch his excitement.

Now, Dario is only five months old so he doesn't know that many baby tricks yet. He just learned to stay sitting up without support. My puppy learned sit by 9 weeks so, is it really that impressive? Yes! His jelly muscles and big head on a floppy neck prevented him from sitting up when he was born. It pretty much prevented him for being able to do anything. Now look at him go! Look at him grow!

-------

3.We've tried solid food. Solid isn't really the correct word for what he ate. We made sweet potato for his first food. I peeled, cubed, steamed and blended the vegetable and mixed in some of the cooking liquid to make it runny enough to pour off the spoon. The reaction was priceless.

-------

I remember, when my cousins oldest boy was a baby, best thing ever was watching him try new food. I got to let him taste lemon for the first time and that was one of the most exciting moments of my life. Maybe of his life too.

-------

4. There are a lot of little things that we take for granted as adults. I know I do. Things like simply picking something up. We see it with our eyes and decide we want it. We reach out our arm and extend our hand and wrap our fingers around it, squeeze and pull it back toward our body. We all had to learn that. Having a baby is reminding me of how far I've come. People can gain this perspective after a debilitating accident. An injury causing you to lose a ability that you've forgotten you even have or need.

It's similar to losing a family member. When someone close to you dies, you remember that we will all die. That life is short and fleeting. You remember what is important. Possessions may seem insignificant. Little arguments you've had will seem silly.

-------

Here it is, my latest blog post. It has taken me over three weeks. Each section was written in a different sitting, on a different day. Each section was interrupted.

Usually I would start typing like this, jumping from subject to subject and this would have become five or six different posts and I would elaborate on each idea. Life doesn't really work like that anymore. I only have a limited time to write. Nap time. I make a cup of tea and get the laptop. I sit down, check facebook, look at a few recipes, read the news, check the weather. Open my blogger and start typing. Spending like 40 minutes just setting up.

I realized if I did not post this, I may never post again. So here it is. I will try and elaborate on certain topics as I intended in future posts. So I numbered topics for easy reference, hopefully this will help organize my thoughts.





No comments:

Post a Comment