Thursday, March 21, 2013

When to Tell Your Boss

When should I tell my boss I'm pregnant? This is a great questions. It is one of the first things that popped into my head actually. How will being pregnant, and then being a mom, effect my work? What will this mean not only for my paycheck and our budget, but for my career, my livelihood. I love working. I have always been a worker since before I got my first 'real' job at 15. Before that I mowed the lawn, I refereed kids basketball and I helped with my dad's business. I soon found the satisfaction that comes with a long days work and I soon found the comfort in a reliable job and a steady paycheck.

I have worked at a local auto body shop for about five years. I really like my job. It is challenging and everyday brings something new. I deal with the customers. I enjoy helping people, and I am told I am a good communicator. It can actually be a very stressful job if you let it. People walk in our doors very upset after having a car accident. Sometimes they are bummed they messed up, sometimes they are pissed someone hit them and sometimes they are sore and disoriented after being hurt. Any which way, they need help and guidance through a difficult time and that is where I come in. What would they do without me?

Luckily, it's no secret that my boss is a family man. He has seven kids of his own and about a baker's dozen grand kids now too. Four of his employees are family, either biological or in laws. Most of the employees are married with kids. Everyone was happy when I got married and made sure I got the time off I needed for my wedding and honeymoon. But maternity leave? How long?

I couldn't wait to tell my boss, but I did. Well, not really. He was on a three week vacation so that helped because I couldn't tell him. I wasn't going to, but I did, tell him the first day he was back to work. He was very happy. I still don't know what it all means, besides the fact that I'll be off for a while in October if everything goes as planned. I'm starting to think that time off might actually be for about five years.

I don't see how we'd be able to afford daycare if I was to go right back to work. If money wasn't an issue, I still wouldn't want our baby to be raised by strangers. Not that I don't think there is anyone in the world that would be competent, but I would so much rather have that experience be our own. My husband and I have discussed him staying home more and working nights part time while I work my usual 9 or 10 hours, five days a week. Although it make some sense financially, we both have agreed we'd prefer more traditional gender roles. I like the idea of breastfeeding for instance, while Paul's boob's are just hairy and milk less.

I want to be a stay at home mom until my little bean grows into a kiddo and goes to school. I want to be around for every first. I will in turn be there for many crying fits, freakouts and tantrums. That is okay. I want to be a mother first. I will figure out how to fit work in after.

No comments:

Post a Comment