Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Our First Doctors Appointment

Today is Sunday March 24th, 2013. I am ten weeks pregnant. Last Thursday was our first doctors appointment. I had been nervous all day. I was anxious for this appointment since February 6th when I peed on that expensive piece of plastic and it showed two lines. The day couldn't come soon enough. Now that it was here, it felt like I had swallowed a bunch of golf balls and couldn't get the last few all the way down my throat. My better half insisted everything would go well, and he was so happy. Paul has a way of calming me down and reminding me that worrying isn't going to help, without making me want to punch him in the mouth. What a great guy I have.

As expected, the appointment did go quite well. Nothing out of the ordinary in fact. I had my first downstairs exam with someone else in the room and Paul was a complete gentlemen. He did not high five the doctor like I had imagined. He even held my hand when I was looking uncomfortable.

They used a doppler to try and hear the heartbeat. We couldn't but the doctor said that wasn't uncommon because ten weeks is still a little early for that. We did hear my pulse, loud and clear with my blood rushing through my placenta. That even made Paul a little teary-eyed.

I was told to watch what I eat, gestational diabetes runs in my family. Keeping my weight gain to a minimum will make everything about this a little easier, including carrying myself around. I am due back to the doctors on April 25th for my next check up. Before that, on April 1st we have an ultrasound appointment. That is what I am most looking forward too. I want to peek inside myself and see a little person nestled in there. It is still unreal to me that this is actually happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment